RARA-AVIS: Block's chronology

From: billha@ionet.net
Date: 27 Feb 2001

High praise from Bill Bowers on Block's Scudder series:

"in close to 50 years of Reading, I've never encountered a more sustained ... and _logical_ example of character-development over a twenty-year span in Real Time, in any series. I was Impressed.

Of course, I do think Block blew it when he had Scudder actually move in with that woman, neat as she may be."

Well put, Bill. The development was impressive. Well above the typical, reference to "working out more" or having a series buddy lament that time is passing... Constantine works in life changes, especially aging quite well, setting it in the generations of his small town. Though not up to Block's level, I thought Crais too grew his character fairly well. (Again, however, Elvis' involvement with ______? put some people off.)

Bill Hagen billha@ionet.net