Re: RARA-AVIS: It's a Shame About Ray

From: Chris Routledge ( srcrout@ntlworld.com)
Date: 27 Feb 2001

It is indeed a shame, though I think the Chandler estate has few worries about book sales. As for other writers, Ellroy, Leonard, McBain, Paretsky and so on have a presence in the UK but outside London book shops don't have a great deal of space for the more obscure crime writers. Cain I admit isn't so obscure, but the only time I've seen him in a general book shop is in Picador's anthology: The Three Great Novels Of... I've come across books by people like Willeford in second hand shops, but these have always been American imports. Shops like Waterstones have a fairly good range, but Brits like Rankin, Dexter, Rendell and James take precedence I suspect. Murder One in London is the main place to pick up the exotic American treasures. Whenever I visit our filthy overcrowded (overrated) capital I try to go there.

Cheers Chris