Re: RARA-AVIS: Review of Raymond Chandler Papers - worth reading

From: Kent Westmoreland ( kentwestmoreland@hotmail.com)
Date: 26 Feb 2001

IMHO, the works of Gardner and Cain are primarily remembered because of TV and the movies, respectively. I would go as far to say as most non-mystery buffs know Perry Mason, "Double Indemnity" and "Postman" but cannot name their creators. Chandler is a different proposition. He is remembered because of his written words, not because the film version of the "The Big Sleep" and forgettable versions of his other novels. The "The Big Sleep" is remembered because of Bogart and Bacall.

I think this is what the reviewer could have meant.

Kent Westmoreland

----Original Message Follows---- From: crimefactory@mBox.com.au Reply-To: rara-avis@icomm.ca To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: Review of Raymond Chandler Papers - worth reading Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:52:56 +1100

> http://www.theage.com.au/books/2001/02/19/FFXNIM51DJC.html
>
> Oustanding review of the book - only takes about 5 minutes
> to read.
> <<<<<<
>
> I'd hardly describe something as an outstanding review when it
> starts like this:
>
> "The first thing to ask about Raymond Chandler is why his name
> lives on when those of best-selling contemporaries such as Erle
> Stanley Gardner and James M. Cain are forgotten?"
>
> All the reviewer had to do was stop in any bookstore. Gardner and
> Cain are still in print, and not forgotten in the least. Shoddy
> research up front always turns me off. Now Charles Williams,
> Norbert Davis, Leigh Brackett -- folks like them really have been
> forgotten. Damn shame too.
>
> BobT

These authors are not readily available in Australia which is where the review was published.

Dave Honeybone