RARA-AVIS: Cutter and Bone (was RE: _Right as Rain_)

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane@emazing.com)
Date: 21 Feb 2001

 "George Pelecanos" < shoedog1@erols.com> wrote: Subject: RARA-AVIS: _Right as Rain_

<< On the planes I finished Ed Dee's NIGHTBIRD (for my money, Dee currently writes the best cop books) and dove into Newton Thornburg's TO DIE IN CALIFORNIA, which I bought in Terry Lankford's cool store in L.A. Recently I had the honor of writing the introduction to the republication of Thornburg's classic CUTTER AND BONE, brought out by the UK's Serpent's Tail and available in the States. CUTTER AND BONE was one of those books that, early on, inspired me to try this writing thing myself. I highly recommend this book to hardboiled/noir fans if you have not already read it.

I'm glad to hear this is available again. Overlooked by many crime fans for many years, this is a great, scary novel. Not scary in the way we accept for horror and goth novels these days. Just scary in that personal way...most of us have met one or more off-kilter folks like a character or three the reader encounters in this book. Muchly recommended. The 1981 movie (also known as CUTTER'S WAY) is also quite good.

-- Duane