RARA-AVIS: Richard Prather

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 16 Feb 2001

I'm about a third of the way through Prather's Darling It's Death and I have some questions:

1. Is it ever explained how/why Scott's hair and eyebrows turned white?

2. This one takes place in Acapulco. Is this typical? Does he travel around? I must admit, I prefer PI stories set in the cities the PI knows so well. Are other books set in his hometown, LA?

3. Do all of the books revolve around Scott fighting Commies? This one hinges on a Communist takeover of US unions. (The "Maffia" -- was this once the preferred spelling, with two Fs? -- is also interested in control.) I vaguely remember another Prather I read long, long ago also pitting him against Commies.

4. How does this book rate compared to the others in the series? I like Shell Scott a lot. I like his smart-ass attitude and remarks. His drooling descriptions of women are particularly amusing. However, the plot seems to be overly complicated, with long passages of exposition and backstory to let you know the big picture. So far, no real action. Is this typical?

Mark