Re: RARA-AVIS: 3rd person

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 06 Feb 2001

Charlie asked:
"How about this one? Has anyone ever found a cime novel that is written strictly in 1st person, but from two different main characters' point of view. Meaning first do one scene, or chapter, from the good guy's point of view, then the next scene or chapter from the bad guy's, while using 1st person instead of 2nd."

Weren't Dick Lochte's Sleeping Dog and Laughing Dog structured this way? They definitely alternated between two distinct points of view. I'm pretty sure they were both first person. I liked those a lot, kept hoping for a third in the series. Any chance, Dick?

The Nameless collaborations (the two or three crossovers with other series detectives) are also structured that way, aren't they? How about the Marlowe/Prather collaboration, how is that handled?

This isn't exactly the same, but S.J. Rozan alternates first person views, but it changes book-to-book, not chapter to chapter.

Mark