RARA-AVIS: 3rd person

From: Charles Shafer ( cshafer@chipsnet.com)
Date: 06 Feb 2001

Whether or not 1st and 3rd person are used in the same novel, I really couldn't say, but seems to me it might confuse the reader and therefore, not such a good idea.

I'm a huge Elmore Leonard fan, get down on my knees to the man, but even he can go overboard giving too many characters point of view. (As in The Hunted) I start to wonder who is the main character. To me, one of the few who gets away with it successfully is Larry McMurtry, as in his Lonesome Dove series.

How about this one? Has anyone ever found a cime novel that is written strictly in 1st person, but from two different main characters' point of view. Meaning first do one scene, or chapter, from the good guy's point of view, then the next scene or chapter from the bad guy's, while using 1st person instead of 2nd.

Might be a fun read.

Charlie Taylorville, IL