RARA-AVIS: ON TENDERNESS EXPRESS

From: Victoria Esposito-Shea ( victoria@esposito-shea.com)
Date: 04 Feb 2001

>I ran across the above title in a bookstore today. The jacket copy
>trumpets that it is Maxim Jakubowski's first PI novel. Has anyone read
>it? How is it?

I loved it, but it's certainly not for everyone. It's very very postmodern, with the PI aspects (and the plot, in some instances) coming in second to the erotica and noir mood. The novel drags in some places, and what he was trying to do doesn't always work, but the beginning and end of the book in particular are breathtaking.

I gather he's not going to be doing any more PI novels, but wanted to try the form just for the heck of it.

Vicky

Victoria Esposito-Shea Editor-in-Chief and Co-Founder HandHeldCrime http://www.handheldcrime.com/