Re: RARA-AVIS: Switching points of view

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 02 Feb 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Crider" < abc@wt.net> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 6:25 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Switching points of view

> The Matthew Hope series by Ed McBain started out in first person and later
> switched to first person. Lee Child's Jack Reacher series began with a
> first-person book and switched to third person for the rest (so far). The
> most recent incarnation of the Nick Carter series started out in third
> person and switched to first.
>
> Bill Crider

And then the Nick Carters switched back to third person, only he usually was referred to in narration as "Carter" in the later books, rather than as
"Nick" in the early books.

Also, though they're not hardboiled at all, I seem to remember that the Peter Styles books by Judson Philips switched back and forth from first to third person.

Best, James