Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent purchases

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2001

--- William Denton < buff@pobox.com> wrote:

> Anyone else picked up anything good lately?

Traded a friend of mine a copy of some forgettable novel for the Black Lizard reprint of W.L. Heath's VIOLENT SATURDAY. Heath's book isn't quite the classic Ed Gorman (in his introduction) makes it out to be, but it's very enjoyable nonetheless. Bank robbers try to hit a bank in a small town, but things go very wrong. A nice blend of naturalism and genre fiction -- oddly enough, Heath's treatment of the subject matter reminded me a lot of Stephen King. If King wrote crime novels in the mid-Fifties this is the sort of thing I think he'd come up with.

Tried to read Thomas Dewey's HOW HARD TO KILL, but for some reason just couldn't get into it. I've only read a few of Dewey's "Mac" novels, but as far as I can tell they alternate between Very Very Good and Sleepy. I'm afraid HOW HARD is one of the sleepy ones.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com

__________________________________________________ Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/