Re: RARA-AVIS: Marc Behm (was:Recent reads)

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 21 Dec 2000

Marc Behm's 'The Eye of the Beholder'

I can understand your surprise by reading Behm, an author with a corpus of works that cannot be classified. Most of it can be best described as: surreal Noir or even as fantastic Noir (close to fantasy). Maybe you overlooked (or were not interested by) the intentions of 'Eye...' and was expecting some kind of mainstream crime/HB novel, that Eye is not, all converging to your disappointment.

I will not disclose details (to protect future readers) but we have to keep in mind that 'Eye..' is a kind of allegory close to the initiatory cycles found in ancient lit ... could even be regarded as a modern philosophical "conte" (tale). But it's obvious that even if you deciphered it, the novel could still not be your cup of tea. Marc Behm is one of these authors belonging to the uncharted territories of Noir/HB.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384