RARA-AVIS: Bill's Carter; "Pulpography"

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 21 Dec 2000

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Juri Nummelin wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Mark Sullivan wrote:
> > Also, none of you, including Bill, who have mentioned his Nick Carter
> > have included the title -- well?
> I don't remember it!

What an embarrassment! "The Coyote Connection", like Bill himself already said. I tried, but all I could come up was "The New Mexico Connection", which is a McCloud novel by Collin Wilcox.

I take an opportunity and notify you all that my book about the Finnish translations of American pulp and paperback fiction has just arrived from the print. It's called "Pulpographia", meaning "Pulpography". It has over 300 title words and (almost) complete bibliographies of each writer's translations. I believe this is the most comprehensive study of the subject in the world - am I right? The book starts with Edward S. Aarons and ends with Arthur Leo Zagat and it covers both paperbacks and pulp and slick magazines and deals, with slight exceptions, with crime and mystery writing only.

Thanks everyone for help! I found this list to be really informative and want to thank especially Bill Crider, James Reasoner, Kevin Smith, Etienne Borgers, Gary Niebuhr.. and who else? Richard Moore, of course! Thanks go for William Denton also for maintaining this list and the useful site!

If you want to order the book, feel free to e-mail me. I'm afraid none of you will understand any of it the book says (unless you speak Finnish!), but at least it's a curiosity.

I'm already working on the updated edition (though I don't know whether such will ever be published!), so more questions are coming!

Merry Christmas to all!

Juri