Re: RARA-AVIS: realism vs fantasy

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 18 Dec 2000

marianne.macdonald@lineone.net wrote:

> Look, guys, in your heart of hearts you know perfectly well that:
> -most violent killings are nasty, unmysterious and uninteresting, and
> done by killers whose motive and identity is boringly obvious, largely
> either because
> ----they are closely related to the victims,
> ----or it was a kind of accident related to another crime,
> ----or they are in some way insane,
> ----or several of the above.

All this could be made interesting, depending only HOW it's done. It's not the story, it's how you tell it. I think all these killings should be interesting. And that's what the crime writers should be doing now - and I think some of them are. Take George Pelecanos for instance (it's nice to have you here!). He has his other foot in myths and male fantasy, but the other foot is firmly in those things you mention.

Juri