Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler biography by Tom Hiney

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 18 Dec 2000

ejmd wrote:

> Juri writ:
> > I bought recently a Chandler biography by Tom Hiney. Is it any good?
> Well, it's not the best. Look out for a second-hand copy of the MacShane.

I have it, have had it for years and have never understood why some people say it has faults. The only real fault I found was that MacShane never really discusses Chandler's work in the context of other pulp writers. But that's also the problem with William Nolan's Hammett biography and other books on similar subjects.

Juri