RARA-AVIS: Upcoming theme months

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 12 Dec 2000

I picked a couple of writers for the next two monthly themes:

 January 2001: Charles Willeford! February 2001: Richard S. Prather!

You can't go wrong with a one-two punch like that. I'm looking forward to rereading the Hoke Mosely books, among other stuff, and I have half a dozen Shell Scott books (Willeford really liked Shell Scott) I haven't read yet.

Also, I e-mailed Betsy Willeford, Charles Willeford's widow, and she may join the list. Some of you, like Maura McMillan, know her, and I know others have talked to her over the phone or e-mailed her. Anyone who read Herron's WILLEFORD will have seen her mentioned. She's very nice and very well read and I'm sure she'll have lots of interesting things to say. She did say your (you the rare bird) "guess is as good as mine and often probably better," so don't feel shy or that she's speaking the pure Willefordian truth, because such a thing doesn't even exist.

These theme months are a way for us to read whatever books we want to or can find by a certain author, which makes it easier on those of us without big collections or who don't live in the UK or North America. By opening it up we end up with more people reading more books, and more gets talked about. There's still lots of time to read a Mike Shayne book or magazine and have a go on that for this month.

Bill

P.S. Don't bother asking her for a copy of GRIMHAVEN, the infamous unprinted second Hoke Mosely book.