Re: RARA-AVIS: Mike Shayne Month!

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 06 Dec 2000

On 5 December 2000, James Reasoner wrote:

: He said the pay was "a flat, lousy three hundred bucks" for 20,000
: words, but that didn't sound too bad to me at the time.

What was in a regular issue? A Shayne novella and a couple of non-Shayne short stories? I've only seen one issue, I think, from about 1975. My uncle left it lying around at the cottage. I think I read it, but I didn't know anything about Shayne or what all the magazine came out of. I think I'll go down and see if there are any at the pulp store here in town.

: Sam sent me a copy of the Mike Shayne "bible", which went into a lot
: of detail about the characters and the settings, especially Shayne's
: office and apartment. I don't know who actually wrote this. I
: probably still have it somewhere, but I don't have any idea where.

If you ever find it, speak out.

How did you feel about ghosting in Halliday's name? Any sense of stepping into the shoes of the writer's who'd gone before? Do you ever meet other writers who were Halliday and reminisce?

Bill