RARA-AVIS: Mike Shayne Month!

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 05 Dec 2000

Well, this is Mike Shayne month. A list of all the Mike Shayne books is up on the web site, so have a look and read any you've got sitting around. I'm sure we all have a few, probably those Dell paperbacks with cocky-looking Mike in a circle at the top. I've had to do a lot of reading on something else, so haven't done any, but will start one in day or two. Has anyone else been in the spirit of the month? (Mike Shayne, not Christmas.) Any comments? There's no particular title assigned, just read what you feel like and we'll probably end up covering a lot of ground.

Mr. Reasoner on the list actually *was* Brett Halliday for a while. Perhaps you could tell us about how you came to write for the Mike Shayne Mystery magazine, and what it was like? Are there any other Brett Hallidays on the list? In late September, Mr. Reasoner said:

| Lynds wrote nearly all of the Mike Shayne stories in the magazine from
| 1963-70. I forget what his total was, but it was more than anyone else
| who wrote magazine Shaynes. I wrote 38 of them between '78 and '82. A
| lot of people wrote Shayne stories for the magazine. Besides Lynds, the
| ones I remember off the top of my head: Sam Merwin Jr., Robert Turner,
| Robert Arthur, Richard Deming, Michael Avallone, Peter Germano, Edward
| Y. Breese, Bill Pronzini & Jeff Wallman, Hal Charles, Jerry Jacobson,
| and Michael Taylor.

Bill