RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled (1930s magazine)

From: Ray Skirsky ( rskirsky@qualcomm.com)
Date: 31 Oct 2000

I recently picked up a 1937 edition of "Writers' Market" and found it full of pulp listings (which is why I bought it). But in the listings for "First Class General Magazines" I found an entry for a magazine called "Hardboiled." The entry read:

HARDBOILED, 79 Seventh Avenue, New York City. A. Lawrence Holmes, Editor. Stories must appeal to men rather than to women. Length, 1,000 to 5,000 words. The stories must reflect life as it really is, and not as one would like it to be; realistic stuff, told well. Fillers up to 200 words. We do not want glamorous stories. We publish love stories only if they are done in a cynical, amusing, and realistic manner. We do not want the type of plot that would be suitable to a slick paper magazine, whereas we do [emphasis theirs] want slick writing. Stories must be of high literary value, and must be entertaining, whether they be dramatic or humorous. Decisions are prompt.

This magazine was grouped with mags like "Town and Country," "Time,"
"Colliers," and "The New Yorker," but its entry is unusual in that it was not in alphabetical order like every other entry in the catagory. It was the last entry in this catagory (after "Voyager").

So, has anyone out there ever seen this mag? Is it a pulp, or a slick? And, most importantly, is it hardboiled?

Ray