RARA-AVIS: Mike Shayne

From: T.Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@escape.ca)
Date: 13 Oct 2000

Last weekend I went to our family cottage on Lake Winnipeg to have Canadian Thanksgiving dinner and close it for the winter. Well, the plumbing froze so we didn't have water and then my brother-in-law got sick at home. That meant no dinner and an immediate trip back to the city. One of that last things I saw as I pulled down a blind on the porch was a shelf full of my late father's Michael Shayne paperbacks. Most are early if not first paperbacks and those are the books that got me reading mysteries. He also read Earle Stanley Gardner, A.A. Fair and George Harmon Coxe. So did I because living in northern Manitoba where there was no town library, a small school library filled with very old Tom Swift and one tobacco store that sold paperbacks meant you had little choice. For some reason, I made sure we kept the Shayne books while the Gardner, Coxe, etc. disappeared. The problem I now see is having to make one more trip to the lake and go into a very cold cottage to rescue the books if we are going to have a Michael Shayne Festival. I won't be able to stay out of that. By the way, am I right in thinking one of the above authors had a detective called Kent Murdock? If so, why didn't I like him best.

Kent Morgan