Re: RARA-AVIS: Brett Halliday

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 13 Oct 2000

William Denton wrote:

> Does anyone else have any particular favourites? I've only read three or
> four, and I can't remember any details. I think I have seven or eight
> Shayne books, though, which I'll have to compare to the bibliography Gary
> Niebuhr sent out.
> Shayne books should be pretty easy to come by for most of us in North
> America, and those outside will face the usual difficulties. What if we
> make December Mike Shayne Month, and try to read the earliest book (or
> books) we can find? Then we can compare notes and drink brandy.

I was thinking the other day that we could do this a Mike Shayne year. Maybe not a very good idea, but we could start with the early ones, graduate through the fourties and fifties and finally get to those ghosted by Ryerson Johnson, Robert Terrall, Michael Collins, James Reasoner and other people. Hmm.. very definitive maybe on that.

But "Too Friendly, Too Dead" was a very good one. As you remember, this one was by Michael Collins and it was like "Act of Fear" without Dan Fortune sermoning.

Juri