Re: RARA-AVIS: Don Tracy

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 09 Oct 2000

-In my previous message, I wrote:

> To remember:
> HOW SLEEPS THE BEAST (1937)wherein is one of the
> most
> horrifying and realistic description of the lynching
> of a Negro man. A recommended book.

Concerning this novel, I forgot to mention that it was refused by the publishers in the USA at the time, and was first published in the UK.

Don Tracy was not the only one facing the problem amongst American HB/Noir authors (this kind of problem went on until end of the 50's/early 60's), and they were seeking then to publish these refused books in Europe first. It was, at the time, always a contents problem- not the quality or genre of the book.

On the contrary of today publishing, in which some American HB/Noir authors of quality look to British
(or even French) publishers first, because of the lack of real interest for the genre itself from the American publishing sphere. And probably from the reading public as well.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384