RARA-AVIS: RE: Get Carter

From: Dick Lochte ( dlock@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 08 Oct 2000

Just caught all but first fifteen minutes of the original "Get Carter" on TV. Was surprised by the sex sequences which seem a little ahead of their time. The plot was as good as I remembered, and the acting, but I found the direction to be a little flat, as opposed to Hodges' "Pulp." Since I didn't see the opening, I don't know how the credits read re the screenplay, but according to ads for the new version, the screenplay credit suggests that the new script was a direct adaptation of the book, rather than the earlier script. This is odd since it takes its title from the previous film and not from the book.

As to why the book wasn't reissued, it's possibly because the studio, Warner Bros., didn't have faith in the film (Stallone's presence notwithstanding). They kept it away from the critics. That is, there were no previews. The reason for their loss of faith may or may not have had anything to do with the quality of the film, or Stallone, or the book, which was probably never read by any decision maker. It's Publishertown, Jake.