Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Don Tracy

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 08 Oct 2000

Juri is right.

I can add that apparently, as Bill Crider remembers rightly, Tracy wrote historical novels (from the 50's to the 70's) but not stopping his HB/Noir novels production. Giff Speer's series benefits of a proximity effect, I think (due to the period of publishing closer to contemporary), but Tracy was also the author of some very good crime novels having racism as subject.

To remember: HOW SLEEPS THE BEAST (1937)wherein is one of the most horrifying and realistic description of the lynching of a Negro man. A recommended book. THE HATED ONE (1963) with a Negro female accused of murder; I remember it more vaguely, but it was a good read.

He used also the pseudo of Roger Fuller, but mainly for films and TV novelisation, I think. He was a ghost writer, but I could never find for who and where.

He of course wrote quite a bunch of short stories, in the pulps ( but also for more reputed magazines). He was born in 1905.

E.Borgers Hard-boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384 Polar Noir http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir