RARA-AVIS: Dresser's westerns

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 03 Oct 2000

There were at least three westerns, possibly four, published by Davis Dresser under his own name. My memory is that they were originally published in hardcover (Morrow?) but had paper reprints in the early 50s. It was a series that could be read as mysteries in a western setting. I remember three of them carried blurbs from E.S. Gardner and were pretty good.

I had no idea the Shayne novels were ghosted as far back as the late 50s. Dresser started a publishing imprint about that time called Torquil that published both science fiction (Poul Anderson, Edmond Hamilton, Eric Frank Russell) and mysteries. I can't recall seeing any mysteries from Torquil beyond the Brett Halliday Shayne novels but there probably were.

Richard Moore

Richard Moore