RARA-AVIS: Recent purchases

From: ejmd ( ejmd@cwcom.net)
Date: 01 Oct 2000

William Denton < buff@pobox.com> writ:

> The book sale season has hit the colleges at the University of
> Toronto, and I was at two this week. I didn't see much hardboiled in
> with the mysteries, and no stacks of Gold Medals, but I found some
> good stuff:

[SNIP Bill's bargains]

I went in to the Student Shop in the college at which I ply my humble trade for the first time last week. They have very, very few second-hand books on sale ... less than a hundred I'd say ... anyway, one of them was a first UK HB edition with dustjacket of the Woolrich collection. The Ten Faces of Cornell Woolrich. Needless to say I bought it without quibbling over the 80p pencilled inside the cover ... checking it out on the web I was pleased to find that copies in similar condition were priced at well over eighty new pence :-)

Apparently the book was part of a collection sold by 'a widow', so who knows what other gems I might have snapped up if I'd gone in the shop before ...

ED