Re: RARA-AVIS: odds & ends

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 15 Sep 2000

Moorich2@aol.com wrote:

> Reading all the bargain stories made me realize that the bargains purchased
> do not stick in my memory like the bargains lost. I still have nightmares
> about the first four Brett Halliday Mike Shayne hardbacks, mint in
> dustjackets and no library stamps for less than $10 each. I passed,
> reconsidered and returned, only to find them gone.

Since I live in this remote place of earth, the bargains I have made don't necessarily interest you, being translations, but here are some in the original language:

Peter Rabe's "A Shroud for Jesso", a very good first edition for 20 markka (appr. 3 dollars) a dozen of John D. MacDonald's Fawcett paperbacks, for one markka each (appr. 15 cents each), not first editions, but all in good condition Wade Miller's "Devil May Care", a fifth edition and not in a very good condition, but nevertheless three markka (appr. 70 cents) many Fawcett Gold Medal first editions (e.g. Vin Packer's "Dark Intruder", Norman Daniels's "Suddenly by Shotgun", Albert Conroy's "Road's End", Wenzell Brown's
"Teenage Mafia") for five markka each (and got usually some discount for buying so many books) Thomas B. Dewey's "The Case of the Murdered Animal" (Avon 626), five markka George Harmon Coxe's "Murder for Two" (Pocket Book B 69), five markka Max Brand's "Valley of Vanishing Men" (Pocket Book 609), in a near mint condition, five markka Richard Wormser's "A Hanging Heiress", five markka - five markka being 80-90 cents and perhaps a couple more.

Once I had "Best from Manhunt", but I sold it for ten markka to someone. This one I regret.

Juri