RE: RARA-AVIS: Bargains

From: Michael Chong ( mchong@ytv.com)
Date: 13 Sep 2000

Daniel Sevitt wrote:
"Doesn't have to be first-hand but it should be something you were looking for and would probably have paid more for."

So I'm travelling through Spain with a backpack and three novels: Faulkner's Sanctuary, Hemmingway's Death in the Afternoon, and Willeford's The Way We Die Now. By the time I get to Barcelona, I am just finishing Willeford's final Hoke Moseley. I am desperate for any reading, especially any HB. I find out there's only one English-language used book store in all of Barcelona. It happens to be by Gaudi's Park Guell, so I drop by before a visit. Down an alley, the store is hidden from the traffic of a main commercial street. An older and amiable woman with a British accent is the proprietor. After going through the paperbacks and not finding anything of interest, I start scanning a shelf of mostly "yuppie" trades. A book I've kept an eye out for jumps out at me: Willeford's Kiss Your Ass Goodbye. And it's only 700 ptas. I finished it in one sitting that night in my cramped room with two German lovers loudly fucking in the room beside me.

Chong