Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Once more into the breech...

From: Ned Fleming ( nfleming@kscable.com)
Date: 29 Aug 2000

Kevin Burton Smith wrote:

[snip]

> I'm not saying Millhone is the hardest bitch at the ball, but she
> certainly is part of the on-going hard-boiled tradition, or at least
> the part of it that started years ago, maybe as far back as when
> Marlowe booted Carmen Sternwood out of his bed.
>
> Oh, and don't you just love when academics get all hissy?

The American Heritage Dictionary:

breech n. 1. The lower rear portion of the human trunk; the buttocks. 2. breeches a. Trousers extending to or just below the knee. b. Informal. Trousers. 3. The part of a firearm behind the barrel.

Bitch? Hissy? Real he-man words, I daresay. Kinsey Milhone a part of the tradition of "hard-boiled"? Rubbish. I suggest rara-avis go on hiatus starting tomorrow or the day after.