RARA-AVIS: Cain's The Butterfly

From: Paul Farrell ( pm_farrell@hotmail.com)
Date: 29 Aug 2000

I read James M Cain's The Butterfly a couple of days ago. I'd say it's the best Cain novel I've read since The Postman Always Rings Twice. It's like a more entertaining version of an Erskine Caldwell novel, with its hillbilly setting and redneck characters.

   Cain's books seems to be in publishing limbo at the moment - I can find only Mildred Pierce, Double Indemnity and Postman in print. His reputation doesn't seem to be as huge as Chandler and Hammett these days. Does anyone know of any plans to reprint more of his novels?