RE: RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos: new one

From: Pat Zeitoun ( pwz@tca.net)
Date: 23 Aug 2000

Juri,

I have thought about the women in Pelicanos' books a great deal. The portrayal of the women as almost non-entities except for mother and wife, are in character with the society of the immigrants from the Mediterranean countries. I have known women like these for many years. Of course, someone will yell that I am being sexist or making broad generalizations but this is not the case. I do know what I am talking about, having been married 30 years to an Egyptian and lived among 'foreigners' all that time.

I am disturbed by your assertion that Pelicanos' books," are actually rewritings of buddy-buddy westerns." He writes truthfully and accurately about the life of the immigrant and first generation Greeks in this country.

Cheers,

PatZ