Re: RARA-AVIS: Horace McCoy

From: Lee Nowlin ( noirophile@tcainternet.com)
Date: 21 Jul 2000

Bill Crider wrote:

> Interesting column, Lee. Did you know that Horace McCoy once worked for
> the Dallas Morning News?

Bill,

Believe I had heard that. By the way, great hearing from you. I've read and re-read your contributions to The Big Book of Noir. Between the two of you, you and Ed Gorman have just about created a monster when it comes to vintage hb pbs. I've got stacks of the things all over the place! I'd been a film noir aficionado for years, but had never really paid much attention to hb fiction, at least other than the likes of Chandler, Hammett, James M. Cain, Woolrich and a few others. I well remember my dad reading John D. MacDonald, Ed McBain and Jonathan Craig, just to name three of his favorites. Once, when I was about 7 or 8, I asked him whether he liked John D. MacDonald or Travis McGee best! He got a kick out of that. They were just two names to me. Sort of like when we'd watch the Cowboys-Redskins games, and I'd wonder why he kept calling George Allen a "son-of-a-bench"! Anyway, I don't want to wander any further off-topic than I already have, so I guess I'll wrap this up by just saying that I'm enjoying taking part in the list immensely.

Lee