RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: "Watching the Detectives" on Chandler/Marlowe

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 21 Jul 2000

Kip wrote:

"I suspect they were responding to the same influences: the advent of a tight, standardized newspaper style; the "cablese" of foreign dispatches; the "style" used in telegrams; the clipped language of print advertisements of the day; and so on. There were plenty of examples at the time for them to draw from to reach that kind of "less is more" approach."

I whole-heartedly agree, but would like to add one thing to the list, writing up case reports for the Pinkertons.

Mark