Re: RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: "Watching the Detectives" on Chandler/Marlowe

From: WordRunner@aol.com
Date: 21 Jul 2000

Mr T.
    I think Faulkner's opacity and the floridity of his prose made him an unlikely model for the hard-boiled writers of his time, and to some degree of ours. It's not complexity that mystery writers can't handle, many of the good ones can and do create multilayered fiction. I believe Faulkner is just too round about in his story telling to win acolytes among most hard-boiled authors.
    You can find him easily in Burke, occasionally in John Lutz and for certain in people like Toby Olson, but most of the hard-edged, gritty folks are much more straight ahead than Faulkner. Lean, linear, and close to the bone, he was not.

                                    Jim Blue