RARA-AVIS: Re: "Watching the Detectives" on Chandler/Marlowe

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 20 Jul 2000

On 16 July 2000, William Denton wrote:

: My nearby (Buffalo, New York) PBS station is showing the third of the
: "Watching the Detectives" series next Thursday, and it's on Chandler and
: Marlowe.

It was pretty good, better than I'd expected. There were a couple of very minor errors, and an unexplained visit to an old mansion, but the host, some English guy, toured around LA and gave decent coverage of Chandler's life. He also went back to Hammett, and there were clips of his daughter Jo (Josephine Marshall now) and Don Herron (author of WILLEFORD and giver of Hammett walks in Frisco) and a friend of Herron's, a Hammett fan who actually lucked into renting the apartment Hammett lived in when he wrote THE MALTESE FALCON. They played some audio clips from the BBC interview Ian Fleming did of Chandler, but no moving pictures, and no clips at all of Hammett. The guy who did the recent Chandler bio--Tom Hiney?--was interviewed too.

Bill