Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler- Library of America

From: TERRILL LANKFORD ( TOLANKFORD@webtv.net)
Date: 19 Jul 2000

Wow! When the Library of America announced that they were doing their Chandler collection there was much discussion by academics as to whether or not he was "worthy" of the respect. And whether crime fiction had a place in the lofty world of lit-rit-ture.

Now I'm realizing it was Chandler that went slumming on that wafer thin paper stock with the fancy-schmanzy end papers and high falutin heavy duty cover.

Didn't Hammett recently receive similar rough treatment from LOA? The fiends!

Gosh, I hope the Library of America doesn't desecrate any more of our favorite RARA-AVIS authors.

TL