Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler- Library of America

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Jul 2000

<<No offense, but I think this is just plain silly. FAREWELL, MY LOVELY is a good book period -- whether it's the first edition, or a battered paperback, or the LOA edition, or written on grocery bags with crayon. To focus on anything else is really to focus on ornamental stuff, nothing important.>>

Well, it's as unimportant as the shape of noodles. A 4 x 4 x 4 cube of pasta should be just as appetizing as a plate of spaghetti.

By which I mean: there is a sensual side to books and reading, including typography, size, cover art, weight, texture of paper, etc.; obviously, it's not why we read, but... Just watch electronic paper fail, as it undoubtedly will...

Regards,

MrT