RE: RARA-AVIS: Chandler- Library of America

From: Michael Sharp ( msharp@binghamton.edu)
Date: 19 Jul 2000

I'm going to second the ambivalence re: the LOA. I much prefer a beat up paperback, and it doesn't have to be (in fact, is never) a paperback original or first printing. Chandler and other detective fiction just feels like something that should be read a little ragged. Plus, LOAs make nice- looking spines for your library, but, like any hardback, they're inconvenient. They don't feel right, don't travel well, etc. Plus plus, I just like the idea of buying used books; but of course for some people this isn't convenient, in which case, go LOA. It's better than nothing.

Michael D. Sharp Assistant Professor Binghamton University (SUNY) Department of English Binghamton, NY 13902-6000
(607) 777-2418