RE: RARA-AVIS: Chandler- Library of America

From: John & Carrie ( johncarrie@sprynet.com)
Date: 18 Jul 2000

Sllichtman sed:

> Am I the only one who doesn't think its as much fun to read Chandler and
> Hammett in the very august packaging of the LOA? Same is true
> for the works
> included in the Polito-edited noir volumes. Much as I appreciate their
> inclusion in the LOA as validation of these works as literature
> worthy of the
> best the U.S. has to offer, I think there's an aesthetic disconnect in
> reading these works in that format.

Explain, dude (or dudette).

If it's the aesthetics of reading them in the original....be it pulps or paperback, you're preaching to the choir. That would be much cooler. But hell, unless you can find them and pay the premium for them and then debate whether or not the damn things will fall apart when you open them, it's probably not a feasible option.

On the other hand, I believe that the LOA did it's best to see to it that the versions they made available were the best, in terms of complying with the perceived wishes of the authors.

If it weren't for the LOA, I wouldn't have been able to find a lot of this stuff.

Tribe