RARA-AVIS: Crais' LA Requiem

From: billha@ionet.net
Date: 15 Jul 2000

Won't argue with the comments on women, except to say that I think Crais is reaching for character depth, and to my mind has succeeded, at least in Sunset Express and LA Requiem. I'm saying this in the context of rather low expectations of treatment of women in hardboiled fiction-- something we've discussed before. Among the authors I'm most familiar with, Constantine sets the standard--just read The Man Who Liked Slow Tomatoes, and was really turned around.

Bill Hagen