Re: RARA-AVIS: Crumley, Hugo, Carver

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 14 Jul 2000

Hugo and Crumley were definitely friends, and Crumley always confirmed his admiration for Hugo, not only as a poet, but also as the writer of a one only novel: DEATH AND THE GOOD LIFE It's a mystery novel, but not really Noir/HB I think. This book had a very good reputation (at least in Europe)and I just found a copy in a local library, after a long time search for it. So I hope to be able to make my own evaluation soon.

I read somewhere, that there are nowadays less writers in Missoula and surroundings, as if it was due to the closure of most of the best bars in town. And from a connoisseurs' opinion the only good one left is
"Charlie's" - Crumley's favorite...

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384