Re: RARA-AVIS: recent findings

From: Ray Skirsky ( rskirsky@qualcomm.com)
Date: 12 Jul 2000

At 11:55 AM 7/11/00 -0500, James Rogers wrote:
>At 10:42 AM 7/11/00 +0300, Juri Nummelin wrote:
>
> >Where does this idea of Henry being the good Kane come from? I just
> >can't figure it out. Henry Kane is overwritten, sloppy and
> >boring. Sometimes funny, sometimes parodical in the Prather vein, but
> >never good. Frank, on the other hand, is hardboiled, saves the
> >wisecracking and sometimes tells a good story. Well, some of the later
> >Franks are pretty tired, but the early ones are quite readable.
> It's funny how some guys make the cognoscenti short list and other
>don't. For instance, Lester Dent is known to all as a Black Mask alumnus
>even though he only wrote (I believe) two stories for that mag....fine
>stories, but not particularly distinguished.

I would think that Lester Dent is best known as the man behind the Kenneth Robeson house name on Doc Savage magazine. This is where he gets his fame and where the collector impetus for his magazine appearances comes from.

>I don't think he even wrote
>that many HB stories for any magazine. Who would have picked Norbert Davis
>or Hugh Cave as pulp icons?

Longevity helps, after all, Cave is one of the few prolific pulp authors still around.