Re: RARA-AVIS: The meaning of hardboiled

From: Sllichtman@aol.com
Date: 12 Jul 2000

I've never made much of a connection between Carver and HB - although lean prose is an obvious similarity - but count me among those who are big fans of both. There are moments of unexpected, quiet beauty in many of Carver's stories that are quite stunning. In general, though, I think we are currently in a little bit of a reaction against the Iowa-type minimalism which dominated American fiction for the last two decades, and Carver, as maybe the best of that school, is an obvious whipping boy. But I think he will survive this backlash and maintain his rightful place as a giant.