Re: RARA-AVIS: Martin Beck (was:Euro Crime Series

From: Anders Engwall ( Anders.Engwall@uab.ericsson.se)
Date: 11 Jul 2000

Etienne Borgers:

> As you probably are aware of, the Martin Beck TV
> series you mention is based on the books by Maj
> Sjö·¡¬l and Per Wahlö¶®  They are two writers who
> formed the duo of authors of the Martin Beck novels, a
> series originally issued in Swedish.
>
> I will add that most of these books are really
> interesting readings, and they often carry a rather
> depressing ambiance and a very good rendering of the
> loneliness of the central character.
> It's a kind of naturalistic study of a police
> detective's life, that IMO is more bearable than the
> artificial "normal" life some modern HB writers tend
> to glue onto their central PI characters as if they
> were annoyed by the fictional side of these!... and
> miss the train.
> (refer to Spenser/ Parker, and even Scudder/Block
> recently.. et al)

Unfortunately, this has since become more or less a rather tiresome cliché ©n Swedish police procedurals. Then again, one should not blame originals for inferior copyists.

Good as they are though, I hope nobody is led to believe the annoying political outbursts that occur every so often. Hilariously exaggerated, they are not much more accurate than say, Mickey Spillane's ravings, except they of course are on the opposite end of the political scale.