Re: RARA-AVIS:EuroHB? (was Small HB World)

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 11 Jul 2000

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, pabergin wrote:

> First, there is no real, sustained tradition of Eurohardboiled, Second,
> those practitioners that do exist are pretty limpdicked imitations of the
> real deal.

What about the great French noir writers like Albert Simonin, Auguste LeBreton, Jose Giovanni, Frederic Dard (who just died having written some 300-400 novels) and some other fellows? I'd say that's "real, sustained tradition of Eurohardboiled". It differs greatly from the American tradition and its echoes are heard or seen in Jean-Pierre Melville's films which are something never seen in the American hardboiled cinema. Have you read Thierry Jonquet's "The Gold Diggers"? It's noir and hardboiled, but doesn't bear any resemblance to any of the American hardboiled.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi