Re: RARA-AVIS: Small World

From: WordRunner@aol.com
Date: 10 Jul 2000

Karin,
    I was talking about on-demand print publishing, not pdf file downloading and other e-book stuff. I'm old fashioned enough to believe that most hard-boiled fans will want to owning books andturning pages for a long while.
    Nevertheless, your point and the problem of anyone except perhaps the publisher making money from small volume sales is still a real one. Printing technology is evolving so rapidly that it's difficult to guess how cheap and good the low volume books can become, but they're already pretty good, and the internet has opened a low cost merchandising avenue for small, genre focused publishers who built a platform for hawking their wares.
    I don't believe the big money will ever come this way, but big money has rarely been part of the picture for hard-boiled writers or publishers. Most mystery writers and their translators will continue on short rations.

                                        Jim Blue