RE: RARA-AVIS: Noir Fiction: Dark Highways

From: Michael Chong ( mchong@ytv.com)
Date: 10 Jul 2000

-----Original Message----- From: Juha Lindroos [mailto: jl@pp.htv.fi] Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 10:29 AM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Fiction: Dark Highways

On 30 Jun 00, at 9:52, Paul Duncan wrote:

> If anybody is interested, I could perhaps post one or two of the
> sections (they are about 1500 each) to the list. Who would you like to
> read about? To recap, the list is: Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Joseph Conrad, P J
> Wolfson, Nathaneal West, Horace McCoy, James M Cain, Albert Camus, John
> Franklin Bardin, William Lindsay Gresham, Gerald Kersh, Boris Vian,
> Cornell Woolrich, Jim Thompson, David Karp, David Goodis, Charles
> Willeford, Shane Stevens, James Ellroy, Derek Raymond.

Hey Paul,

Willeford would top my list, though admittedly his life & works have been quite well documented and even easily available. Kersh would certainly be interesting, but you have already an excellent website with an essay on it! Thompson & Ellroy likewise - easy to locate. So perhaps, McCoy, Woolrich or Goodis - you'd probably be the best person to pick and choose; what piece do you feel as the best/most interesting ? In the end, I may have to get a copy of it to read them all!

--Juha.

Charles Willeford: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~jtlin/cw/