RARA-AVIS: the language of Hard Boiled

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 09 Jul 2000

ultimately whether or not non-Americans are capable of producing hard-boiled material goes back to our never-ending discussion on what hard-boiled is.
  if it is indeed merely a question of prose, then yes, the fact that Americanese tends to be clipped and slangy lends itself to that argument.
  but if hard-boiled is the by-product of attitude, and I for one am a strong proponent of this idea, then I see no reason why even Martians can't produce decent hard-boiled.
  John Lau