RARA-AVIS: Re: Russian Noir

From: southpaw@altavista.net
Date: 06 Jul 2000

> I must admit I didn't read any yet, but seeing the
> eclosion of French translations appearing these recent
> years and seeing where they are published, Noir must
> be a shade of some Russian modern productions.

You might want to take a look at

http://www.cerc.unimelb.edu.au/russian/old-conf/razlog.htm
        and http://www.cerc.unimelb.edu.au/russian/old-conf/detect.htm

And if you want to read a hilarious, harrowing description of Moscow's real life, HB kakistocracy, I heartily recommend the recently published
"The eXile: Sex, Drugs and Libel in the New Russia" by Mark Ames and Matt Taibbi (Grove Press, 238pp. oversized, $16). They are two thirtysomething founders of a very controversial Moscow biweekly (called The eXile) for the English-speaking expat crowd. They tangled with Vladamir Putin before he came to power (by offering bounties for the first person who identified which school in Germany Putin sent his daughter to, and a T-shirt to the first person to deflower her) and they describe their (often hilarious) experiences with brutal, capo-style capitalism, drugs, prostitution and various related political scandals. All in all a fun read.