Re: RARA-AVIS:EuroHB? (was Small HB World)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 05 Jul 2000

PB argued pretty convincingly that Euro HB is a oxymoron.

Now I'm not trying to restart the definition argument, honest, but this seems to rely upon comparing current Euro HB to classic US HB. Using this litmus test, most, if not all, contemporary US HB would also flunk.

I agree England does not have the same HB tradition as the US. However, in recent years, they have been doing a pretty good job of catching up. Sure, some may be dependent upon the American tradition, dancing around it, even toying with it, as Timlin's Nick Sharman fun, fast mysteries do
(he replaces the new US cliche line "this isn't like a detective novel" with "this isn't like the US". Still, I really don't see how any of the following Brits are any less hardboiled (and/or noir) than any contemporary US writers: Small Time by Jeff Raines, anything by Ken Bruen, Russell James or Derek Raymond.

Mark