RARA-AVIS: Crais and others

From: K Montin ( kmontin@total.net)
Date: 05 Jul 2000

I was a subscriber when this list first started, but found it hard to keep up, and discontinued my sub. The last couple of months I've been getting the digest and am enjoying it immensely.

Thanks for introducing me to Robert Crais. I found Voodoo River at a garage sale and got hooked by the style and characters. I thought the plot was pretty good. Right after that I read L.A. Requiem--excellent from every point of view. Last night I finished Stalking the Angel, which I found less satisfying. Obviously I read them in the wrong order. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get hold of The Monkey's Raincoat yet.

I look forward to rereading Chinaman's Chance and joining the discussion on that next month. I love Ross Thomas and have about half a dozen of his books, but was pleasantly surprised to find out he's written many more. A number of them are out of print, apparently, but garage sales and bazaars offer some hope.

Incidentally, would anyone care to explain the title of The Postman Always Rings Twice? I've seen the old American film and Ossessione, and last week I read the novella. No postman, no ringing. The allusion escapes me. Am I the only one?

I read Drawing Dead last week (a bit late, I admit) and liked the writing and the characters. The poker was interesting, to a point. A poker slang dictionary would've come in handy. I always like con artist stories (Ross Thomas really knows his way around the classic scams, it seems).

I hope it's OK to write on several topics in one message. If not, I'll split my thoughts up next time.

Karin Montin